- 4 pounds untrimmed hanger steak
- Trim fat and silverskin from steak. Marinate steak and scraps for 24 hours refrigerated.
- 1 tablespoon whole black peppercorns
- 2 crushed bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dry thyme
- 1 large onion, peeled and sliced
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 cup full bodied red wine
- 1/2 cup port wine
- 1-ounce olive oil
Mix all ingredients together.
Remove steaks from marinade. Strain and reserve juices. Skim off oil and discard. Saute scraps, vegetables and spices to brown. Drain fat. Add marinade and reduce to half. Add 2 cups cold water and bring to boil. Simmer minimum 30 minutes, skimming impurities from top.
For Finished Dish:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 12 medium shallots, peeled and trimmed
- 8 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stems off, washed and split, (stems added to stock)
- 2 ounces port wine
- 1/2 teaspoon butter
- 1/4 teaspoon chopped rosemary
- Salt and pepper to taste
In 1 tablespoon of olive oil, saute seasoned hanger steaks over high heat. Brown steaks and turn over. Add shallots and cook steaks to desired temperature (rare to medium rare) and remove. Add shiitakes, season and saute with shallots for 2 minutes. Deglaze pan with port wine and reduce to half. Add strained stock. Simmer and reduce to desired consistency. Finish with butter, rosemary and season. Slice steak 1/4-inch thick, against the grain, and on the bias. Top with sauce and serve.