Roast Pork Havana
- 3/4 cup sour orange juice, or 3 ounces each orange and lime juice
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 2 bay leaves, broken in half
- 1 tablespoon freshly toasted and ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon freshly toasted and ground cumin seeds
- 3 large cloves garlic, sliced thin
- 1 (9-pound) fresh pork butt (not smoked), with skin removed
Whisk together the juices, oil, spices, and sliced garlic. Now put the ham in a bag large enough to hold it and pour in the marinade. Tie up the bag. Let this marinate in the refrigerator for at least 2 days and up to 4 days.
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
Take the pork out of the marinade and put it into a Dutch oven or roasting pan, fat-side-up. Cover and cook for 1 1/2 hours. Turn it fat-side-down, cover and cook another 1 1/2 hours. Turn the meat one last time and cook 1 hour more. Now the meat should be almost falling off the bone. If it is not, it needs more time covered in the oven.
Turn up the heat to 375 degrees F and cook, uncovered, 30 minutes to brown.
Now remove the roast to a cutting board and allow it to rest a few minutes.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.