Roast Suckling Pig
- Roast pig:
- 1/2 cup oil
- 4 onions chopped
- 4 carrots chopped
- 1 head celery, chopped
- 3 -inch knob fresh ginger, peeled and sliced
- 2 heads garlic, roots removed, not peeled
- 4 cloves
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 (3-inch) stick cinnamon, cracked
- 1 dried chile
- 1 cup dry white wine, such as Chardonnay
- 12 cups chicken stock
- 1 (14-pound) fresh suckling pig, butterflied
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Sauce vindaloo:
- 3 tablespoons cumin seeds
- 3 tablespoons brown mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 4 cloves
- 2 sticks cinnamon
- 6 tablespoons paprika
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 cup finely minced red onions
- 2 tablespoons pureed ginger
- 2 tablespoons pureed garlic
- 5 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 4 cups pork stock (from roasting pan) or chicken stock
- 1 cup white wine
- 1/4 cup tequila
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- To make the roast pig:
DirectionsTo make the roast pig:
Preheat the oven to 250 degrees F.
Heat the oil in a very large roasting pan set over medium heat and add the onions, carrots, celery, ginger, and garlic. Cook until the vegetables are softened but not browned, 10 to 12 minutes. Add the cloves, bay leaves, cinnamon, chile with seeds, wine, and chicken stock.
Season the pig on all sides with salt and pepper. Set it in the roasting pan skin side up on top of the spices. Roast until the meat is fork-tender, especially checking the legs, 2 to 3 hours. When cool, remove all the bones by hand and lay the pig on a tray, pressing to flatten it.To make the sauce vindaloo:
Heat a 2 quart pot over medium heat. Add the canola oil and onions and cook until the onions are transparent, about 5 minutes. Add the ginger and garlic pastes, the ground spices, and the vinegar and cook, stirring constantly, for 8 minutes. Add the stock, wine, tequila, and sugar and bring up to a boil. Simmer for 20 minutes. Season to taste.
This recipe was provided by professional chefs and has been scaled down from a bulk recipe provided by a restaurant. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe, in the proportions indicated, and therefore, we cannot make any representation as to the results.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.