Roast Tenderloin of Beef
Recipe courtesy of Gourmet Magazine
- 8 servings
- 4 to 41/2 pound trimmed filet mignon, tied at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons each minced fresh rosemary and thyme leaves, or 1 tablespoon each dried rosemary and thyme leaves, crumbled
- 1 tablespoon finely minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons cracked black pepper, or to taste
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, or to taste
- For the sauce:
- 2/3 cup minced shallots
- 2/3 cup plus 3 tablespoons Madeira
- 1 1/2 teaspoons each minced fresh rosemary and thyme leaves, or 1/2 teaspoon each dried rosemary and thyme leaves, crumbled
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cups beef stock or broth
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot or cornstarch
Preheat oven to 525 degrees F.Pat meat dry. In a small bowl combine rosemary, thyme, garlic, pepper and salt. Rub mixture onto meat and arrange meat on a rack in a roasting pan. Roast meat for 45 to 50 minutes, or until a meat thermometer inserted in the thickest part of the meat registers 130 to 140 F. for medium-rare. Transfer meat to a cutting board and let rest, loosely covered, for 10 minutes.
Make the sauce: In a saucepan combine the shallots, 2/3 cup of the Madeira, the thyme, rosemary and bay leaf and reduce the mixture to 1/3 cup. Add the stock and tomato paste and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes.
In a small bowl combine the remaining Madeira with the arrowroot until smooth and whisk it into the sauce. Simmer for 5 minutes more, or until lightly thickened. Keep warm. Before serving, strain into a sauceboat.
More Recipes and Ideas:
Cold Roast Fillet of Beef with Cracked Pepper Crust, Roast Beef with Ginger and Jus, Filet of Beef with Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes, Bleu Cheese and Walnut Stuffed Portobellos, and Homemade Worcestershire Sauce, Beef Wellington Recipes, Filet Mignon Recipes, Beef Bourguignon Recipes, Beef Recipes, Beef Stroganoff Recipes, London Broil Recipes