Roasted Baby Beet Salad
- 1 pound mixed red and candy-striped baby beets, stems trimmed to 1-inch
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 head Bibb or butterhead lettuce, leaves separated
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Rinse beets. Wrap colors separately in foil and roast in middle of oven until tender, 45 minutes to 1 hour. Cool.
Peel beets and halve lengthwise. Whisk together shallot, juices, zest, and mustard. Whisk in oil until emulsified and season with salt and pepper. Drizzle lettuce with 3/4 of dressing. Sprinkle with beets and drizzle with remaining dressing.
Recipe courtesy Gourmet Magazine