Roasted Beet Napoleon
Recipe courtesy Wolfgang Puck,
- Total Time:
- 3 hr 45 min
- 1 hr 15 min
- 2 hr 30 min
- 2 servings
- 1 1/2 pounds large yellow or red beets, washed and trimmed
- 1/2 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 recipe Herbed Goat Cheese, recipe follows, cut into 8 round slices
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups mixed baby lettuces, washed and dried
- 1/4 cup Spago House Dressing, recipe follows
- 1/4 cup Citrus Hazelnut Vinaigrette, recipe follows
- 1 ounce toasted hazelnuts, recipe follows, coarsely chopped
- HERBED GOAT CHEESE:
- Recipe courtesy Wolfgang Puck, " Pizza, Pasta & More!," Random House, 2000
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh chives
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 ( 7 or 8-ounce) log goat cheese
- SPAGO HOUSE SALAD DRESSING:
- Recipe courtesy Wolfgang Puck, "Adventures in the Kitchen," Random House, 1991
- 2 large shallots, minced (1 heaping tablespoon)
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons zinfandel vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sherry wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- Freshly ground white pepper
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Place the beets in a small roasting pan and pour in enough cold water to reach about 1/4 of the way up the sides of the beets. Cover the pan with foil, and roast the beets until they are tender, 2 hours to 2 hours and 15 minutes. To check for doneness, gently insert a bamboo skewer into a beet. The skewer should slide through easily. Remove the beets from the pan, allow to cool, and then peel.
In a saute pan, bring vinegar and sugar to a boil. Lower to a simmer and poach beets 1 minute on each side. With a slotted spatula, remove and place on a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Cover and refrigerate until needed.
When ready to assemble, heat the olive oil in a small saute pan. Arrange the slices of Herbed Goat Cheese in the pan and warm slightly, turning them with a small spatula just to warm both sides. This has to be done quickly, or the cheese will melt.
To assemble the napoleons, place 1 of the beet rounds on a firm, flat surface and begin to layer. Top with a slice of goat cheese, then another beet round, a second slice of cheese, another beet round, a third slice of cheese, and a beet round. (Continue until you have 5 layers of beets and 4 layers of cheese.) Carefully cut through layers, dividing into 3 wedges. Repeat with the remaining beets and cheese.
To serve, arrange 3 of the wedges, pointed ends facing out, in a circle in the center of each plate. Toss the baby lettuces with the Spago House Dressing and mound half of the lettuces on top of each arranged napoleon. Drizzle 1/2 of the Citrus Hazelnut Vinaigrette around each mound. Sprinkle toasted nuts and reserved diced beets on top of drizzled vinaigrette. Serve immediately.HERBED GOAT CHEESE:
Combine the parsley, chives, thyme, and pepper and place on a flat surface. Roll the log of cheese in the mixture, coating all sides and retaining the shape of the log. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate until needed.
Yield: 1 (7 or 8-ounce) logSPAGO HOUSE SALAD DRESSING:
In a small bowl, whisk together the shallots and the mustard. Whisk in the vinegars and then the olive and vegetable oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Transfer to a covered container and refrigerate until needed.
Yield: 1 1/4 cups
CITRUS HAZELNUT VINAIGRETTE: Recipe courtesy Wolfgang Puck, "Pizza, Pasta & More!," Random House, 2000
1 1/2 cups fresh orange juice 1 shallot, peeled and minced 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme leaves 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar 1/2 teaspoon orange zest 1/3 cup hazelnut oil 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil Salt Freshly ground black pepper
In a medium bowl, combine orange juice, shallot, thyme, vinegar and orange zest.
Slowly whisk in both oils until thick and emulsified. Season with salt and pepper. Refrigerate until needed.
Yield: 1 1/3 cups
TOASTED HAZELNUTS: Recipe courtesy Wolfgang Puck, 2000
1 cup hazelnuts
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Arrange the hazelnuts on a medium baking tray and toast for 10 to 12 minutes, turning after 5 minutes. (This can be done in a toaster oven). Remove to a clean towel and rub to remove as much of the skin as possible. Chop coarsely and use when needed.
Yield: 1 cup
Recipe courtesy Wolfgang Puck,