Roasted Chicken and Refried Bean Tortillas
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground chili
- 1 (15-ounce) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro, frozen with cold water in ice-cube compartment
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups cooked chicken
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar, plus 1/2 cup
- 1 small can chopped green chiles, drained
- 8 medium flour tortillas (thawed, if frozen)
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup shredded pre-washed lettuce
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Heat the oil in a skillet over moderately low heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until softened. Add the garlic, cumin, and chili and cook for 1 more minute. Add the beans and 1/2 cup water, and cilantro cube, cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Mash the beans with the back of a fork and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Combine the chicken, 1/2 cup cheddar, chiles, and salt and pepper, to taste and toss well.
Warm the tortillas wrapped in a towel in a microwave for 3 minutes.
Spread 1/8 of the bean mixture on top of each tortilla, top with 1/8 of the chicken mixture and roll the tortillas up. Arrange them seam side down in a baking pan, top with remaining cheddar, and cover with foil. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until warmed through. Serve topped with sour cream and lettuce.