- 3 pounds medium-size plums, quartered, pits removed
- 2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons grated orange zest
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 6 large eggs
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 cups packed fresh basil leaves, roughly chopped
- 1 (8-ounce) container mascarpone, room temperature
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 1/4 cups chilled heavy whipping cream, divided
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 (12-ounce) purchased pound cake, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 cup coarsely chopped hazelnuts, toasted
- Basil sprigs, for garnish
Roast plums: Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
In a large bowl combine plums with brown sugar and pepper. Transfer to a rimmed baking sheet. Roast until plums are soft and juice is bubbling, about 16 to 18 minutes. Remove from oven. Transfer plums and their juices to large bowl. Cool and chill in refrigerator.
Make citrus curd: While plums roast, in a heavy large saucepan whisk the juices, 1 cup sugar, zests, and eggs in a heavy saucepan. Add butter and cook over moderately low heat, whisking frequently, until thickened. Force through a fine-mesh sieve into a wide shallow dish; cover surface with plastic wrap. Cool completely, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes. Chill until completely cold (about 30 minutes).
Make basil syrup: Combine the water, 1 cup sugar, and basil in a medium saucepan. Bring to boil, stirring until sugar dissolves. Cover and steep 15 minutes. Strain through a fine mesh sieve into a glass measuring cup. Cool completely in freezer until cold.
For filling: In a large bowl, beat the mascarpone, 1/4 cup sugar, 1/4 cup whipping cream, and vanilla until smooth with electric hand mixer. In a stand mixer (with whisk attachment), beat the remaining 2 cups whipping cream until peaks form. Fold whipped cream into mascarpone mixture.
Assembly: Arrange 1/3 of cake cubes in bottom of 3 1/2 quart glass trifle dish. Drizzle with 1/3 of remaining basil syrup. Spoon 1/3 of mascarpone filling over cake in dollops; spread to sides of dish. Spoon half of plum mixture over; spread to sides of dish. Spoon half of citrus curd over plum mixture in dollops, then spread to sides of dish. Repeat layering with 1/3 of cake cubes, 1/3 basil syrup, 1/3 of mascarpone filling, and remaining plum mixture, then remaining cake cubes, basil syrup, and remaining citrus curd. Spread remaining mascarpone filling over. Cover and chill at least 1 hour. Serve sprinkled with nuts and garnished with basil sprigs.
A viewer, who may not be a professional cook, provided this recipe. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe and therefore, we cannot make representation as to the results.