Allium Tossed Salad "Emile"
- Roasted garlic dressing:
- 1 head garlic
- 2 shallots
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves, stripped from stems and chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 4 cups mixed greens, soaked in salt water to remove grit, stems and tough spines removed, torn into bite sized pieces, and dried in a salad spinner
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup sliced scallions
- 1 English cucumber, sliced into 1/8-inch disks
- 1 pint multi-colored baby heirloom tomatoes, or grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 avocado, slipped from skin and seed removed, cut into wedges
- 1/2 cup green garlic-stuffed olives (available in the deli section)
- 4 hard boiled eggs, peeled and cut into wedges
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Slice the root end off the entire head of garlic and the shallots, and turn them upside down, wrapping them in aluminum foil and molding the foil so it supports them to allow the cut ends to stand upright in the oven. Pour olive oil on the garlic and shallots so it slips between the skin and the cloves and wrap with the foil so it is enclosed. Roast for about 1 hour and set aside until they are cool enough to handle.
Gently squeeze the roasted garlic cloves and shallots from the skins onto a small plate. Through the feed opening of a running blender add, 1 at a time, rice vinegar, mustard, thyme, salt, pepper, roasted garlic cloves and roasted shallots. Then, leaving the blender running, add the olive oil in a slow stream. Taste the dressing and add salt and pepper, as needed.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.