Anniversary Asparagus Potato Salad
- 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons champagne vinegar
- 2 garlic clove, lightly crushed with the side of a knife blade and quartered
- 1 shallot, quartered
- 1/4 cup sweet and sour sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 3/4 cup coconut milk
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 pounds fingerling potatoes, boiled until tender and cooled
- 1 pound asparagus, cut on the diagonal into 1/2- inch slices, blanched for 2 to 3 minutes in
- salted water, and allowed to cool
- I medium to large red onion, diced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves (about 1-ounce by weight, approximately 4 to 6 sprigs), plus about 6 sprigs for garnish
Microwave the lime in a small bowl to release essential oils, and set aside until it is just cool enough to handle. Through the feed tube opening of a running blender, add 1 at a time, champagne vinegar, garlic, shallot, sweet and sour sauce, honey, and the lime juice from the micro-waved lime. Leaving the blender running, add the coconut milk. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Cut (or break for a more rustic look) the fingerlings in half, and add to a bowl with asparagus, red onion and cilantro. Add enough of the coconut milk dressing to coat and chill. Serve garnished with cilantro sprigs.