Red pepper pesto:
- 2 large red bell peppers, washed and halved with stems and seeds removed
- 3 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts, chopped
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Salt, if needed
- 1 baguette loaf, cut into 24 pieces
- 2 cups Champagne
- 1 fresh lime
- 24 large scallops
Roast or grill the red bell peppers until the skins are charred then, using tongs transfer them to a covered container such as a small pan with a lid or even a plastic zip-loc bag to let them rest. Peel them when cool.
Prepare the pesto. Cut the peeled red peppers brunoise (julienne then crosswise into 1/8-inch pieces) and combine with garlic, pine nuts, and olive oil. Fold in parmesan cheese and season with freshly ground black pepper. Add salt only if needed, since the cheese will add saltiness.
Toast the baguette slices lightly on a baking sheet and set aside.
Bring Champagne to a boil in a saucepan. Squeeze in juice of lime, then add scallop and poach until they are no longer translucent. Remove scallops to a utility platter and let Champagne reduce by about two-thirds.