- 3 tablespoons grapeseed oil, divided
- 3 ribs celery, small dice
- 1 medium yellow onion, small dice
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 large red or green bell pepper, seeds removed and roughly chopped
- 10 ounces tomato juice (recommended: V8)
- 2 (12 to 15-ounce) cans whole peeled tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 pounds boneless chicken, boiled and pulled into bite-size pieces
- 1 tablespoon minced basil leaves
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 1/2 pounds spaghetti, cooked
- 1 green onion, cut on bias
- 1 cup grated Parmesan
In a saucepan over medium-high heat, add 2 tablespoons of the grapeseed oil, the celery, onion, garlic, and peppers. Stir while cooking until the onions are translucent, about 12 minutes.
In a separate saucepan, over medium heat add the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil, the tomato juice, canned tomatoes, oregano, chicken, basil, and broth and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the vegetable mixture and stir to combine. Continue to cook over medium heat for 10 minutes, then reduce the heat to low, and cook for another 10 minutes, stirring throughout the cooking time.
Once the sauce has reduced, add the pasta and the green onions. Stir in the Parmesan and transfer the spaghetti to a serving bowl.
Recipe courtesy Robert Irvines Eat! All Rights Reserved 2010