Confit of Duck and Sun-Dried Tomato over Pasta
- For the duck:
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more for pasta water
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse black pepper
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 duck, butchered into legs and breasts
- 1 pint lard or grapeseed oil
- 11/2 pounds farfalle pasta or pasta of choice
- For the tomato sauce:
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1 small jar (6 to 8 ounces) sun-dried tomatoes in oil, chopped
- 2 (16-ounce) cans or 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped chives, for garnish
- 2 tablespoons torn basil leaves, for garnish
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan, for garnish
- 2 teaspoons truffle oil, for garnish, optional
Note: The duck has to be prepared the day before because of the long slow cooking time.
Mix the 1/4 teaspoon salt, pepper and garlic together and coat the duck with the seasonings rubbing into the surface of the duck. On the stovetop heat the oil or lard in a deep roasting pan (if you will be using the oven) or in a large Dutch oven (if you will be cooking on the range). (Note: you will be poaching the duck, not frying it, so, it is important to avoid making the oil too hot.) Add the duck to the warm oil. If you are using the oven put the duck in a preheated 200 degree F oven for about 6 to 8 hours. If you are using the stovetop, cook the duck at a 180 degree F simmer for 6 to 8 hours. The duck must be cooked until it falls away from the bone. Remove all the duck meat from the bones and reserve meat until needed.
Fill a large pot with water, add salt and boil pasta until al dente, cooked with a bite, about 10 to 12 minutes, drain and set aside. While the pasta is boiling, saute garlic, onion, and sun-dried tomatoes until the onion is translucent, about 3 to 5 minutes. Add the crushed tomatoes and cook together for about 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, as needed.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.
More Recipes and Ideas:
Fun in the Sun-Dried Tomato Alfredo over Penne with Cajun Steak, Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto-Crusted Chicken Breast over Creamy Herb Polenta, Saute of Shrimp over Fried Green Tomatoes with Warm Remoulade Sauce, Easy Breakfast, Easy Pasta, Easy Lunch, Stuffed Pork Chops Recipes, Enchilada Recipes, Deep-Frying