- 1/2 bacon, diced
- 2 pounds cubed beef stew meat
- 3 large onions, medium dice
- 1 bunch celery, well scrubbed, cleaned, and chopped
- 1 pound carrots, medium dice
- 1 (750-ml) bottle red wine
- 2 quarts beef broth
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 pounds potatoes, well scrubbed and diced, skin on
- 1 (8-ounce) package frozen okra
- 3 bay leaves
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Brown bacon in a large (8-quart capacity) pot. Add beef and brown in the bacon fat. Add onions, celery and carrots and saute for about 5 minutes. Add red wine and beef broth, and simmer until reduced by half. In a small bowl, mix flour and oil, then stir this mixture into the stew and let simmer for a few minutes to thicken and integrate flavors. Add potatoes, okra and bay leaves to the stew and let cook until potatoes are fork tender. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.