Cran-Raspberry Phyllo Pastries
- 2 oranges, juiced
- 1 lime, juiced
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 cup dried cranberries (recommended: Craisins)
- 1/8 cup raspberry liqueur (recommended: Chambord) or German cherry brandy (recommended: Kirschwasser)
- 8 sheets phyllo dough (based on 18 by 14-inch sheets which are often sold in packs of 18 to 20 for thickness number 4)
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1/2 cup mascarpone cheese
In a saucepan, combine orange juice, lime juice, brown sugar, dried cranberries, and raspberry liqueur (or brandy). Reduce liquid until thick and syrupy. Place in refrigerator to let cool and jell up.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
If phyllo was frozen, make sure it is completely defrosted before handling it. Once removed from package, you will need to cover phyllo with waxed paper and a damp towel to prevent it from drying out. Working with 1 sheet at a time, lay out each dough sheet and brush on butter. Fold in half, brush again, fold in half, cut in half. (Each dough sheet should yield 2 rectangles, roughly 4 by 4 inches, so you will have 16 squares.) Spoon a small amount of mascarpone cheese and a spoonful of the cranberry mix in the center of each square. Bring up corners to form into a small square packet and brush more butter on top. Bake in until golden brown.