Coconut ice cream:
- 1/3 cup shredded sweetened coconut plus 8 tablespoons for plating
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup lite coconut milk (the higher percentage of fat in regular will interfere with freezing)
- 1/4 teaspoon imitation coconut extract (recommended: McCormick)
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 6 tablespoons lavender honey
- 1/2 cup chocolate syrup
- 2 teaspoons Chinese five-spice powder, placed into a sachet
- 3 to 4 liters canola oil, or as needed for deep-frying
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cornstarch
- 4 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups seltzer water (for carbonation)
- 4 bananas cut in 1/2, on the diagonal
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
Special equipment: Blender and Ice cream maker, preferably electric
For the ice cream:
Add 1 at a time through the feed opening of a running blender, shredded coconut, sugar, coconut milk, coconut extract, and vanilla extract. Pour into a bowl and stir in the milk and cream. Freeze in ice cream maker until desired consistency is achieved, about 20 to 25 minutes and reserve in freezer until needed.
In a small saucepan, heat the chocolate syrup and the sachet of five-spice over low heat for 10 to 15 minutes to infuse flavors. Remove from heat and bring to room temperature.
Heat oil in deep-fryer to 375 degrees F, or as directed in the manufacturer's instructions for similar foods.
In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, cornstarch, and baking powder. Add seltzer water in a stream while whisking constantly. Dip the bananas in the batter to coat and add to the deep-fryer basket which has been immersed in the oil. Fry until golden brown, drain on paper towels, and sift confectioner's sugar over immediately.
In a small bowl toss reserved shredded coconut and cocoa powder. Place banana on serving plate and drizzle chocolate sauce over. Place a nest of chocolate dusted coconut alongside and top with a scoop of ice cream and a drizzle of honey.