Impressionist Waldorf Salad
- Red wine vinaigrette:
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 shallot, quartered
- 2 teaspoons chopped chives
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1 cup (4 to 6 stalks) celery, diced
- 1 large Granny Smith apple, cored and diced, skin left on, and tossed with lemon juice to prevent oxidation
- 1 large red apple, such as Braeburn, Gala, or Fuji, skin left on and tossed with lemon juice to prevent oxidation
- 1 cup walnut halves, about 40
- 1 medium red onion, diced
Through the feed opening of a running blender add, 1 at a time, the vinegar, shallot, chives, salt and pepper. Leaving the blender running, add the oil in a slow thin stream and allow to emulsify. Taste and adjust seasoning, as needed, with salt and pepper.
Toss together celery, apples, walnuts and onions, and with enough dressing to coat.