Love Me Tenderloin Minute-Steaks with Fried Okra
- For the sauce:
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter (cut 1/2 of this amount into cubes), divided
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup button mushrooms (about 3 ounces), cleaned, trimmed and sliced
- 1/2 cup demi-glace
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup red wine
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- For the okra:
- 1 liter canola for deep-fryer
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound small okra, scrubbed and tips of stems removed
- For the beef:
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil
- 1 (3-pound) beef tenderloin, sliced into 1/4-inch thick "minute" steaks
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
DirectionsFor the sauce:
Melt half of the butter in a saute pan (reserving the other 1/4 cup) over medium-high heat, and saute onion until it caramelizes. Add the mushrooms and cook until they become tender and give up their juices. Strain and set aside. In another saucepan whisk together demi-glace, tomato paste, and red wine and simmer over low heat, allowing to reduce and thicken. (Begin okra and steak as directed below.) Just before serving sauce, whisk in the remaining 1/4 cup of cubed butter, and add mushroom-onion mixture. Taste and add salt and pepper, to taste.
For the okra:
Heat oil in deep fryer to 375 degrees F, or as instructed in manufacturer's directions. Shake cornstarch, salt and pepper in a plastic bag and add okra, shaking to coat. Deep-fry until golden brown. Drain on paper towels and re-season with salt and pepper while the oil is still glistening.
For the steaks:
Melt butter in grapeseed oil over medium-high heat in a large skillet and cook steaks for about 1 minute on each side. Remove to a utility platter and let rest briefly. Strain pan juices into the pot of sauce and whisk in.
Just before serving finish sauce as directed above. To serve, spoon sauce over steaks and top with fried okra.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.