- 1 ounce garlic, minced
- 1 ounce kosher salt
- 1 ounce oregano, minced
- 1 ounce parsley, minced
- 1 ounce Tomato Sauce, recipe follows
- 1 whole egg
- 6 ounces ground beef
- 6 ounces ground pork
- 6 ounces ground veal
- Grapeseed oil, for searing
In a bowl, blend the garlic, salt, oregano, parsley, Tomato Sauce and egg, mixing well with a whisk. Next, by hand, add the ground beef, pork and veal, mixing well, ensuring not to over-mix. After mixing, portion the meatballs to desired size, 1 1/2 to 2 ounces, then allow to rest in the refrigerator for 20 to 30 minutes. This will allow the meatballs to bind.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Over medium-high heat, add enough grapeseed oil to coat the bottom of a large skillet. Sear the meatballs until browned, 2 to 3 minutes each side. After searing, finish the meatballs in the oven until cooked through. This time will vary according to the size of the meatballs.
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and thinly sliced or minced
- 1 large onion yellow, diced
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 2 cups minced or grated carrots
- 3 tablespoons thyme leaves, minced
- 30 ounces whole peeled tomatoes, crushed
- 1 cup chopped fresh basil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Over medium-high heat, add the olive oil to a saucepan and heat. Add the garlic and onions and cook until the onions soften. Next, add the wine, deglazing the pan. Reduce the heat to medium and add the carrots and thyme, cooking for an additional 5 minutes. Finally, add the tomatoes and their juices, bring to a boil and reduce the heat to a simmer. Add the basil and continue to cook over a low heat for 20 to 30 minutes. Season to taste and remove from the heat. Yield: 1 gallon.