Medley of Greens with Buttermilk Dressing
- 6 cups loosely packed mixed greens: iceberg and romaine lettuces, mesclun, and radicchio (washed and dried in a salad spinner or with paper towels)
- 2 large tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 2 cucumbers, peeled and cut into thin slices
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced thin
- 1 to 2 shallots, diced
- 4 ounces feta cheese, cubed
- Buttermilk Dressing:
- 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and quartered
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- Salt and pepper
DirectionsFor the Salad:
In a large bowl, toss greens, tomatoes, cucumbers, carrots and shallots with enough dressing to coat. Sprinkle cubed feta cheese on top.
Microwave lime for about 30 seconds to release essential oils, and set aside to cool.
For the Dressing:
Turn on the blender and while it's running, add 1at a time through the feed tube, the parsley, chives, dill, and garlic, and blend together until a smooth paste has formed. At this point the lime should be cool enough to squeeze. With the power still on, squeeze the lime juice through the blender feed-tube, and then very slowly add the buttermilk and xanthan gum until the mixture thickens and can coat the back of a spoon. Adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper. Set aside in refrigerator until needed. (When chilled, the dressing should resemble something like mayonnaise.)
2007, Robert Irvine, All Rights Reserved.