- 16 to 24 large fresh mussels in shell, debearded and well scrubbed
- 1/2 cucumber, peeled, seeded and diced small
- 2 tomatoes, seeds removed and diced small
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 2 dashes hot sauce (recommended: Tobasco)
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 lime, juiced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup sour cream, as garnish, optioinal
Fill a saucepot with 1-inch of water. Place mussels in pot, cover, and steam until mussels open, discarding any that do not open. Remove mussels from pan and chill.
In a mixing bowl, combine cucumber, tomatoes, onion, garlic, tomato paste, hot sauce, cilantro and lime juice and season with salt and pepper. When mussels are cold, split the shells, leaving the mussel on the half-shell and discarding the other half. Spoon some of the mixture on top of mussel. Garnish with sour cream, if desired.
* Shellfish Warning
Consumption of raw or undercooked shellfish may substantially increase the risk of foodborne illness.