Oyster Po Boy Sliders
- Tartar Sauce:
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh curly parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped capers
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon minced onions
- 1 tablespoon sweet relish, juice squeezed out
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 3 cups shredded cabbage
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 1/4 cup julienned red onions
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh curly parsley
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons celery salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cups vegetable oil
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- 24 freshly shucked oysters
- 8 soft slider buns
- 2 cups shredded iceberg lettuce
- 8 slices ripe tomato
For the tartar sauce: Mix together the mayonnaise, parsley, capers, mustard, onions, relish and lemon juice in a medium bowl. Set aside.
For the coleslaw: Put the cabbage, carrots, onions and parsley in a large bowl. Mix together the sugar and vinegar in a medium bowl until the sugar is dissolved. Mix in the mayonnaise, mustard, celery salt and black pepper. Pour the dressing into the cabbage mixture and fold. Reserve.
For the oysters: Heat the oil in a heavy-bottomed saucepan until a deep-fry thermometer inserted in the oil registers 350 degrees F.
Mix together the flour, salt and pepper in a shallow bowl. Put the eggs in another shallow bowl and the panko in a third. Dip the oysters first in the seasoned flour, next in the beaten egg and finally in the panko. Slip the oysters into the oil and deep-fry until golden brown; drain on paper towels.
Putting it all together: Spread some tartar sauce on the buns. Place 2 oysters on each bottom bun, and top with lettuce and tomato. Finish with the top buns. Put some coleslaw on each plate and top with 2 more oysters.
Recipe courtesy of Robert Irvine's Eat! and Robert Irvine's Nosh