- 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- 1 (3 to 4-pound) octopus, beaked and headsac cleaned
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large pinch saffron
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1/2 pound chorizo sausage, cut on the diagonal into 1-inch pieces
- 1 pound boneless chicken parts, preferably skin on, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 large white onion, diced
- 5 cloves garlic, lightly crushed with the side of a knife blade, and minced
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 3 cups white rice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pound mussels, scrubbed and bearded
- 1/2 pound (21-25 size) shrimp, peeled, deveined, and tails removed
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro leaves
Brush 1 tablespoon of the oil on the octopus (reserving the rest), season with salt and pepper, and add to a pot with enough water to cover. Simmer until the octopus is cooked through, about 20 minutes.
Add the saffron to 1/2 cup warm water and let it sit for 10 minutes to allow it to "bloom."
Heat the remaining grapeseed oil over medium high heat in a 16 inch paella pan. Brown the chorizo on all sides and remove to a utility platter. Brown the chicken pieces and remove to the same platter.
Add the onion to the pan and saute until translucent, then add the garlic and gently cook until softened, monitoring to make sure it doesn't burn. Add the white wine and allow most of it to evaporate. Stir in the paprika, parsley, cup of bloomed saffron, and chicken stock, and bring to a gentle boil. Return the chorizo and chicken to the pan, and add the octopus. Stir in the rice, salt and pepper and reduce heat to medium. Cook uncovered without stirring for about 20 minutes, then add the mussels and cover. Let cook until the mussels open, about 7 minutes, then remove them to a utility platter. Add the shrimp to the pot, cover, and cook until they turn pink and opaque, about 5 minutes, then remove the shrimp to a utility platter.
Serve in the pan and sprinkle with fresh cilantro. Arrange the shrimp and mussels on top.