- 4 tablespoons virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed and minced
- 2 bell peppers (green or other color)
- 1 large onion, quartered and thinly sliced
- 4 small zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 4 large red tomatoes, diced
- 2 small eggplants, cubed
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh oregano
- 1 teaspoon herbes de Provence, optional
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
- 10 leaves fresh basil, thinly cut
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
In a 4-quart Dutch oven or saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. First, add the garlic, peppers and onions and cook, stirring often, until the peppers and onions are softened, 6 to 7 minutes. Next, add the zucchini, tomatoes and eggplant; stir until coated with olive oil and garlic. Cook for 5 minutes, and then add the parsley, oregano, herbes de Provence if using, thyme and basil. Season with salt and pepper and stir to combine.
Finish cooking over lower heat for 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and let rest before serving for 10 minutes, to allow the flavors to incorporate. Use or cover and refrigerate for up to 5 days.
Serves: 6*; Calories: 190; Total Fat: 10 grams; Saturated Fat: 1.5 grams; Protein: 5 grams; Total carbohydrates: 24 grams; Sugar: 13 grams; Fiber: 10 grams; Cholesterol: 0 milligrams; Sodium: 130 milligrams