Reindeer Wurst in Lentil Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound reindeer sausage ( kielbasa can be substituted)
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, lightly crushed with the side of a knife blade, then minced
- 3 large sprigs fresh thyme, leaves stripped from the stems
- 8 cups water
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 3 large carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 cups lentils, picked over to remove any stones or impurities and rinsed
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 cup extra-virgin olive oil
Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large saucepan and brown sausage for 5 or 10 minutes to allow the meat to firm up. Remove to a utility platter until cool enough to handle.
To the same pan add onion, garlic and thyme leaves and saute until the onion becomes translucent. Stir in 8 cups water and 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar. Add carrots and lentils, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for about 30 minutes until the lentils begin to soften.
While the lentils are cooking, slice the sausage into 1/4-inch slices. Add them to the pot of lentils and simmer until the meat is cooked through, about 15 more minutes. Season soup with salt and pepper, to taste. Serve drizzled with extra-virgin olive oil.
2007, Robert Irvine, All Rights Reserved.