- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup catsup
- 1/4 cup pickle relish
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce, such as Tabasco
- 2 cups sauerkraut, drained
- Grapeseed oil, for cooking
- 1 pound ground beef, 80/20 blend
- 1 pound corned beef, ground
- 1 pound ground pork
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 slices Swiss or Gruyere cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut into pats
- 4 good-quality kaiser rolls
For the dressing: In a bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, catsup, relish, vinegar, celery seed and hot sauce, mixing well. Then blend with the sauerkraut and hold.
For the burgers: Preheat a grill to 350 degrees F.
In a bowl, blend the beef, corned beef and pork by hand, mixing well until evenly and thoroughly mixed. Next, portion the meat into 4 equal patties and sprinkle evenly with salt and pepper on both sides. Grill the burgers on the first side for 5 to 6 minutes, then flip and repeat grilling on the second side.
While the burgers are cooking, in a saute pan over high heat, add grapeseed oil, allow to heat until smoking then reduce the heat to medium. Next, add the dressed sauerkraut and cook until browned, 3 to 4 minutes, stirring with a spatula during the process. Once cooked, add one-quarter of the dressed kraut on the top of the burgers, and then top with the cheese.
To build the burgers: Heat a pan over medium-high heat, add the butter to the pan and brown the rolls one at a time, repeating the process until all the rolls have been browned. Then place the dressed burgers on the bottom buns, finish with the bun top and serve.