Salad of The Greens with Fennel, Mint and Orange
- 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 to 3 sprigs mint, stripped from stems
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons chopped garlic chives
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 1 large head fennel, separated, dried tips removed
- 1 cup large white mushrooms (about 4 ounces), cleaned
- 2 to 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound green beans, stem ends removed and cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 heads romaine lettuce, soaked to remove grit, spines removed and dried in a salad spinner
- 2 large oranges, peeled, cut into bite size pieces
- 2 cucumbers, peeled, cut into quarters lengthwise, seeds removed and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 6 sprigs mint, stripped from stems, chiffonnade
Prepare the vinaigrette, just before use. Place the lime in a small microwave-safe bowl and microwave until the essential oils in the skin are released. Since the lime will be hot coming from the microwave, you will need to set it aside briefly, until it cools just enough to handle. Pour vinegar into a blender, turn it on, and then squeeze in lime juice from the micro-waved lime. Leaving the blender running, add 1 at a time through the feed opening: mint, mustard, garlic chives, honey, salt, and ground pepper, and blend until smooth. While keeping the blender running, add oil through the feed opening in a slow stream.
Heat grill. Brush fennel and mushrooms with olive oil, and season with salt and pepper. Grill until they begin to soften, and then allow cooling.
Bring a pot of water to boiling. Have a bowl of ice water standing by. Add salt and blanch green beans for 2 to 3 minutes, then stop the cooking by plunging into the ice water.
2007, Robert Irvine, All Rights Reserved
Recipe courtesy of Robert Irvine
Recipe courtesy of Trisha Yearwood