Seared Salmon with Pickled Watermelon Salad
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- Six 6-ounce skin-on salmon fillets
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/2 cup white balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup julienned red onion
- 1 cup small-diced Roma tomatoes
- 3 cups large-diced seedless watermelon, rind removed
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, chiffonade
For the salmon: In a saute pan over medium-high heat, add the oil and allow to warm. Next, sprinkle the salmon fillets with the salt and pepper. Then, add to the oil, skin-side up, and allow to sear for 3 to 4 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium, flip the fish and repeat cooking until desired temperature, 3 to 4 minutes. Once cooked, remove from the pan and allow to rest for 4 to 5 minutes before serving.
For the salad: In a saucepan over high heat, combine 2 cups water, the white balsamic vinegar and sugar. Stir the mixture and heat until the sugar is fully dissolved. Once the sugar is dissolved, add the onions and cook for 3 minutes. Then add the tomatoes and cook for a final minute. Once the tomatoes have cooked, remove from the heat and toss in the watermelon and basil. Portion to plate and finish with the seared salmon.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.