Smoked Chicken and Shrimp Bisque
- Smoked Chicken:
- 2 pounds wood chips of choice, soaked (recommended hickory, pecan or applewood)
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper blend
- 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil
- 4 (10 to 12-ounce) bone-in chicken breasts
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped onions
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups shrimp stock
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons freshly chopped parsley leaves
- 1/2 pound cooked bay shrimp (50-60 count)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Preheat the grill on high.
Chicken: Poke 6 to 10 holes with a screwdriver through the top of 1 aluminum pan, and put the water soaked chips in bottom of second aluminum pan and top with a wire roasting rack. Put the pan with soaked chips on the preheated grill until a solid burn occurs, about 15 to 20 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium-high. In a large bowl blend all the seasonings with the grapeseed oil. Toss the chicken with the blended seasoning, arrange on the rack in the smoker and cover with the aluminum pan with the holes. Smoke the chicken until an instant-read thermometer registers 160 degrees F when inserted into the thickest part of the chicken, about 35 to 40 minutes. Remove the chicken to a cutting board and let cool. After cooling, remove the skin, and shred the smoked breast by hand. Discard the bones.
Bisque: In a medium saucepan, over medium-high heat, melt the butter and add the celery and onions, stirring throughout until the onions are translucent. Add the flour, and stir with a wooden spoon until the flour and butter become a paste (pan roux). Reduce the heat and add the stock, milk and cream. Cook until the mixture has thickened, about 20 minutes. Add the parsley, shrimp, garlic and shredded chicken and continue cooking for 10 minutes over low heat. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper. Ladle into serving bowls and serve.
2 aluminum half pans, wire roasting rack
Thank you! your flag was submitted.