- 3 cups rough-chopped fresh spinach
- 1 cup small-diced yellow onion
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh dill
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 8 wrappers, spring roll or pastry
- Cornstarch and water, mixed to a paste
- Tzatziki sauce, aioli or other sauce, for serving
Preheat a deep fryer to 350 degrees F.
In a bowl, blend the spinach, onions, feta cheese, dill, salt and pepper, mixing well and crumbling the feta during the process.
To build the rolls, in the center portion of each wrapper, add a tablespoon of filling. Then trace the cornstarch paste around the edges of the wrapper. To seal, fold the bottom tip over the filling, and then bring the left and right sides into the center. To finish, simply roll to bring the top until the roll is closed.
Drop the spanakopita rolls into the fryer. Lower them slowly into the oil so they set. Once crisp, after about 2 minutes, remove from the fryer. Remember they will continue to cook two shades darker. Put on paper towels to absorb the grease.
Season the eggrolls and serve with tzatziki sauce, aioli or other sauce.
Recipe courtesy of Robert Irvine's Eat, Robert Irvine's Nosh