Top Brass Tossed Salad with Italian Dressing
- Salad dressing:
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, lightly crushed and quartered
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano leaves (from 3 or 4 small sprigs or 1 or 2 large sprigs)
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves (from 3 or 4 small sprigs or 1 or 2 large sprigs)
- 1 teaspoon fresh parsley leaves (from 3 or 4 small sprigs or 1 or 2 large sprigs)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 cups mixed greens (organic mesclun mixture such as mache, arugula, chicory) soaked and dried in a salad spinner
- 2 large tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 2 English cucumbers, peeled and sliced
- 2 large carrots, peeled and sliced into rounds
Through the feed opening of a running blender add, 1 at a time, the vinegar, garlic, oregano, thyme, parsley, salt, and pepper. Then, leaving the blender running, gradually add the olive oil in a thin stream. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper.
Gently toss together the greens, tomatoes, cucumbers, and carrots with enough of the dressing to coat. Serve family style with the remaining salad dressing on the side.