Asparagus-Wild Mushroom Risotto with Parmesan
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (or 2 teaspoons pre-minced garlic)
- 8 cups sliced wild mushrooms (any combination of shiitake, cremini, oyster, etc).
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 cups cooked Arborio rice
- 1 cup reduced-sodium beef broth
- 2 cups chopped fresh or frozen asparagus spears (1-inch pieces)
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
- Salt and ground black pepper
Heat oil in a large stock pot over medium heat. Add shallots and garlic and cook 1 minute. Add mushrooms and saute 5 minutes, until tender and releasing juice. Add thyme and cook 1 minute, until fragrant. Using a slotted spoon, remove 1 cup of sauteed mushrooms and reserve for Wild Mushroom Turnovers with Romano Cheese.
To the mushrooms in the pot, add rice and broth and asparagus and bring to a simmer. Simmer 5 minutes, Stir in Parmesan and chopped parsley. Season, to taste, with salt and black pepper. Ladle risotto into bowls and serve hot.
Serving suggestions: Toss cherry tomatoes with bottled Caesar dressing and serve alongside risotto.