Garlic and Herb Cheese-Glazed Sirloin and Orzo Salad with Fennel, Tomatoes and Oregano
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 4 boneless sirloin steaks
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 ounces garlic and herb soft cheese (recommended: Boursin)
- 1/4 cup vermouth
- 1 pound cooked orzo
- 1 fennel bulb, diced
- 1 cup diced fresh tomatoes
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped oregano leaves
- 1/4 cup sherry vinegar
Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Season steaks with salt and pepper and add to hot pan. Cook 3 to 5 minutes per side for medium. Remove steaks from pan and set aside. To the same pan, add cheese and vermouth. Simmer 2 minutes, until cheese melts and creates a sauce, scraping up any brown bits from the pan and incorporating them into the sauce. Spoon sauce over steaks just before serving.
To make the salad, in a large bowl, combine cooked orzo, fennel, tomatoes, oregano, vinegar, and remaining olive oil. Toss to combine and season, to taste, with salt and black pepper.
2006, Robin Miller, All Rights Reserved