Mac 'N Cheese
- 1 pound uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1/2 cup low-fat or fat-free sour cream
- 12 -ounce can evaporated skim milk
- 4 ounces grated sharp Cheddar (about 1/2 cup)
- 4 ounces grated Monterey Jack (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 to 2 drops hot sauce, optional
- Ground black pepper and salt
- 1/4 cup plain dry bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and transfer to a large bowl. While pasta is still hot, stir in sour cream and set aside.
Scald milk by heating in a small saucepan over medium heat until tiny bubbles just appear around the edges.
Add Cheddar and Monterey cheeses, mustard, nutmeg, hot sauce, pepper and salt to scalded milk. Simmer until cheese melts, stirring constantly.
Fold cheese mixture into pasta and transfer mixture to a serving platter.
Combine bread crumbs and Parmesan in a skillet over medium heat. Toast 1 to 2 minutes, until golden brown. Sprinkle mixture over macaroni and cheese and serve.
Copyright 2005, Robin Miller, All Rights Reserved
Recipe courtesy of Emeril Lagasse