- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons peeled and minced fresh ginger
- 1 pound cooked, cubed chicken
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 3 1/2 cups (two 14.5-ounce cans) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 14-ounce can unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 cups instant rice, cooked
Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion, carrots, celery, garlic and ginger and cook, stirring, until the vegetables soften, about 3 minutes. Add the chicken and cook until golden brown, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the curry powder, stir to coat, and cook for 1 minute. Add the broth and coconut milk and simmer 4 minutes.
Remove from the heat, stir in the cilantro, and season with salt and pepper. Spoon the rice into bowls and top with the mulligatawny stew.