Warm Chicken-Cherry Waldorf in Romaine
- Total Time:
- 20 min
- 20 min
- 4 servings
- 1 1/4 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1 cup sweetened dried cherries or cranberries
- 2 Granny Smith apples, cored and chopped
- 1 bulb fennel, trimmed and chopped
- 1/2 cup walnut piece
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 4 leaves romaine lettuce
Place the chicken in a large saucepan and pour over enough water to cover. Set over high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer until the chicken is cooked through, about 8 minutes.
Drain and, when cool enough to handle, cut the chicken into 1-inch pieces. Transfer the still warm chicken to a large bowl and add the cherries, apples, fennel, walnuts, and chives. Toss to combine.
In a small bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, lemon juice, mustard, and lemon zest. Add to the chicken mixture and stir to coat. Season with salt and pepper.
Arrange the lettuce leaves on a serving platter or individual plates. Spoon the chicken mixture evenly into the lettuce leaves and serve. If serving chilled, you can make the chicken mixture up to 2 days in advance and store in a sealable container in the refrigerator.
Recipe courtesy Robin Miller