- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 small Japanese eggplants, cut into 1/4-inch thick rounds
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 8 basil leaves, chiffonade
- Salt and pepper
- 4 large slices crusty Italian bread
- 2 whole garlic cloves
- Olive oil
Preheat the broiler.
Heat oil in saute pan over medium heat, until smoking. Add onion and cook until soft, about 10 minutes. Add the eggplant. Stir regularly until soft. Add peppers and cook until soft. Add the vinegar. Remove from heat and cool. Add basil, and season with salt and pepper.
Rub bread with garlic cloves and olive oil. Toast bread on both sides in a preheated 400-degree oven for about 10 to 15 minutes. Top with heap of eggplant mixture.