Romaine Lettuce Soup
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 5 tomatillos, husked, washed and roughly chopped
- 1 to 3 jalapeno chiles, stemmed
- 2 quarts chicken stock or water
- 1 large or 2 small heads Romaine lettuce, cored, cleaned and roughly chopped
- 1 bunch cilantro, leaves and stems, chopped
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons anchovy paste
In a heavy stockpot, over medium heat, heat the olive oil. Saute the onions with the salt and pepper until translucent, 5 to 7 minutes. Add the garlic, tomatillo and jalapeno(s) and cook another 5 minutes. Pour in the chicken stock or water. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook 20 minutes. Stir in the lettuce and cook 10 minutes longer. Add the cilantro to the soup and bring to a boil. Remove from the heat, and puree in a blender or food processor. If you want a more elegant soup, pass through a strainer. Bring back to a boil before serving. Beat 1 cup of the heavy cream until soft peaks form. In a small bowl, mix the anchovy paste with the remaining 2 tablespoons cream until smooth. Fold into the whipped cream and beat a few more strokes. Serve the soup hot with dollops of the anchovy cream garnish.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.