Roquefort Fritters with Pear and Tarragon Sala
- 8 ounces firm blue cheese, chilled (recommended: Roquefort, Maytag, or Danish Blue)
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 cups bread crumbs (recommended: Japanese Panko)
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 2 thin-skinned pears, cored and cut into 1/2-inch slices (recommended: Forelle)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh tarragon
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Pinch salt and freshly ground black pepper
Fritters: Cut the cheese into 1-inch cubes and roll lightly between your hands to round off the corners. Chill at least 2 hours. Whisk the egg in a bowl, then whisk in the milk. Place the bread crumbs in a separate bowl. Dip each cube of cheese in the egg, then toss in the bread crumbs to coat. Repeat the process to create a second coating and then a third. (The recipe can be made up to this point and kept refrigerated up to 4 hours in advance.)Salad:
Salad: Toss the pears with the remaining salad ingredients. Taste and adjust the seasonings with lemon juice, sugar, and salt. Chill until ready to serve. When ready to serve, heat the oil in a deep fryer, or 2 1/2 inches of oil in a deep pot fitted with a deep-frying thermometer, to 365 degrees F. Working in batches of 6 or 7, drop the breaded cheese cubes into the hot oil and fry until evenly browned, about 30 seconds moving them around often. Drain on paper towels. Serve as soon as possible, with pear salad on the side.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.