Rose Water and Orange Blossom Baklava
- 1 pound walnuts, lightly toasted and roughly ground in a food processor or blender
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 package phyllo pastry
- 1 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup honey
- 1 lemon, zested
- 1 teaspoon rose water
- 1 teaspoon orange blossom water
- This recipe was provided by professional chefs and has been scaled down from a bulk recipe provided by a restaurant. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe, in the proportions indicated, and therefore, we cannot make any representation as to the results.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Combine the walnuts, cinnamon and sugar in a large bowl and set aside. In the bottom of a greased 9 by 13-inch pan, put 1 layer of phyllo and brush liberally with butter. Repeat 6 more times, buttering each delicate layer, until you have 7 layers of phyllo. Spoon 1/3 of the nut mixture over the phyllo and top with 5 more individually buttered sheets of phyllo. Repeat the process 2 more times and finish with 7 layers of phyllo. Brush the final layer with butter and bake until golden brown, about 50 minutes.
Remove the baklava from the oven and pour the syrup evenly over the top. Cut into squares or diamonds and serve.
Recipe courtesy Sasha Perl-Raver, 2010