- 4 ounces (120 grams) stoned muscatel raisins
- 2 dried figs, sliced
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 1/4 of a nutmeg, grated
- 2 cloves
- 2 blades mace
- 1 liquorice stick
- About 2 1/2 cups (568 milliliters) brandy
- A little more than 1/2 cups (140 milliliters) Madeira wine
- Large pinch saffron
- 1 1/2 leaves of 24 carat gold leaf *see note
- *Note: Ensure that you only use food-grade 24 carat gold.
Chop the dried fruit and bruise the spices. Infuse them into the brandy in a stoppered bottle for a week. Strain through a coffee filter. Add 1 1/2 leaves of 24 carat gold leaf and shake or blend until the gold is in tiny fragments. Bottle.
Recipe courtesy of Ivan day, Food Historian