Rum-Glazed Sweet Potato, Apple, and Chestnut Gratin
- 3 pounds sweet potatoes, pricked several times with a skewer
- 3 Golden Delicious apples, peeled and cut lengthwise into 1/8ths
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup halved vacuum-packed roasted chestnuts (available at specialty food shops)
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons dark rum
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mace
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Bake the sweet potatoes in the middle of the oven for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until tender. Let them cool. Peel the sweet potatoes and cut them diagonally into 1/4-inch slices.
In a stainless steel or enameled saucepan, cook the remaining ingredients over moderate heat, stirring, until the sugar is dissolved. Spoon the mixture oven the sweet potatoes and apples and bake the gratin in the middle of the oven, basting occasionally, for 30 minutes, or until the apples are just tender and the sweet potatoes are heated through.
The uncooked gratin can be assembled 1 day ahead and kept refrigerated, covered. Bake, uncovered, basting occasionally, for 40 minutes.
Put the gratin under a preheated broiler about 4 inches from the heat until the edges are browned lightly.
Recipe courtesy Gourmet Magazine