- Basic recipe:
- Olive oil or bacon grease
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 medium onions
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 large can baked beans (not the tomato kind)
- 2 pinches brown sugar (to taste)
- Optional: lettuce or shredded cabbage
- If desired, add one or more of the following before you add the ground beef:
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- If desired, add one or more of the following when you add the beans:
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup ketchup (to taste)
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
- 2 tablespoons yellow or brown mustard
- Other spices as desired ( cayenne pepper, Worcestershire sauce, etc.)
In a frying pan, caramelize onions in olive oil or bacon grease. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add ground beef and cook until browned. Add beans and about 2 pinches of brown sugar, cook until heated through and consistency of a sandwich. Serve on bun with lettuce or shredded cabbage, if desired.
Home Cook Recipe: A viewer or guest of the show, who may not be a professional cook, provided this recipe. The Food Network Kitchen have not tested this recipe and therefore cannot make representation as to the results.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.