Saffron Tomato Soup
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin oil
- 1 yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped garlic cloves
- 4 yellow tomatoes, peeled and seeded
- Pinch saffron
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
In a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan, heat olive oil to medium heat.
Season lightly with salt and pepper. Cover and reduce heat to low. Stir occasionally. When the tomatoes, onions, and garlic are soft, remove and allow to cool in a separate container on ice.
When the mixture is cool, puree in a blender or food processor.
Serve hot or cold, garnished with a drizzle of olive oil.
Recipe courtesy of Mario Batali