- 3/4 cup plain lowfat yogurt
- 34 pounds ripe tomatoes, the greatest variety of colors, sizes and shapes possible
- (for example, red, yellow, striped, cherry, beefsteak, plum, pear, etc.)
- 3 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 bunch chives, minced
At serving time, cut large tomatoes into chunks or wedges; cut small tomatoes in half or quarters. Place all tomatoes in large bowl. Place vinegar in small bowl and whisk in sugar, salt, pepper and drained yogurt. Drizzle in olive oil while whisking so as to form an emulsion. Pour over tomatoes, add chives, and stir. Serve over pieces of toasted country bread.
- TOASTED COUNTRY BREAD
- 6 thick slices crusty country bread
- 1 tablespoon extravirgin olive oil
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Brush bread slices lightly with olive oil on both sides. Place on rack placed on a cookie sheet and place in oven. Toast for 1015 minutes, or until just beginning to brown. Spoon tomato salad on top and serve.