Salada de Agrigao Watercress Salad
c.1997, M.S. Milliken & S. Feniger, all rights reserved
- 6 servings
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup extravirgin olive oil
- 3 sprigs fresh basil, leaves only, finely chopped
- 2 sprigs fresh cilantro, leaves only, finely chopped
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 3 bunches watercress, thoroughly washed and dried, tough stems removed
- 2 large ripe tomatoes, cut into 3/4inch cubes
- 1 small white onion, thinly sliced and separated into rings
In a small glass bowl, combine the salt, pepper, and vinegar and stir until the salt is dissolved. Whisking constantly, drizzle in the olive oil and continue whisking until the dressing is emulsified. Still whisking, add the basil, cilantro, and garlic. Cover with plastic wrap and allow to sit at room temperature for 1 hour so that the flavors can marry.
In a large serving bowl, combine the watercress, tomatoes, and onion rings and toss gently to mix. Drizzle on the dressing and toss again just until the ingredients are evenly coated.