Salami and Cheese Rolls: Stromboli
- 1 pound frozen supermarket pizza dough, thawed
- 1/4 cup finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 ounces thinly sliced salami (about 12 slices)
- 4 ounces thinly sliced provolone (about 12 slices)
- 2/3 cup jarred roasted bell peppers, rinsed and chopped
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Quarter dough. Roll out 1 piece into a 10-inch round on a lightly floured surface and sprinkle evenly with 1 tablespoon Parmesan and black pepper, to taste. Arrange 1/4 each of salami, provolone, and roasted peppers in an even layer over dough. Roll up dough round, then tuck ends under and pinch edges to seal.
Make 3 more rolls in same manner and arrange 2 inches apart on a lightly greased baking sheet. Brush lightly with egg and cut 3 (1/2-inch) steam vents in each roll. Bake in middle of oven until golden, 30 to 35 minutes.
Saras Note: For all you college students, this is great recipe for your dorm-room toaster oven. Bake them up and youll be the envy of all your dorm-mates.
Recipe courtesy of Gourmet Magazine