- For the salmon:
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups kosher salt
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice (from about 4 lemons)
- 1 1 1/2 -pound salmon fillet, skin removed
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for brushing
- For the salad:
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons white balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon honey
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- 8 cups baby arugula (about 5 ounces)
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh chives
- 1 cup celery leaves (from 1/2 bunch celery)
- 1 cup fresh parsley
- 1 small bulb fennel, thinly sliced
Prepare the salmon: Combine 4 cups water, the sugar, 2 cups salt and the lemon juice in a large saucepan and bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve. Remove from the heat and let cool, then refrigerate until cold, about 30 minutes. Add the salmon; brine in the refrigerator, 2 hours.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Remove the salmon from the brine and pat dry. Brush with olive oil on both sides. Place in a roasting pan and bake until just opaque, about 14 minutes. Let cool, then flake with a fork.
Make the dressing: Whisk the lemon juice, vinegar and honey in a small bowl. Slowly whisk in the olive oil until emulsified. Season with salt.
Combine the arugula, chives, celery leaves, parsley and fennel in a large bowl and toss with the dressing. Divide among plates and top with the salmon.
Photograph by David Malosh
Thank you! your flag was submitted.