Salsa de Jitomate Cocida: Cooked Tomato Sauce
- 3 medium tomatoes (about 1 pound), broiled
- 1/4 onion, roughly chopped
- 1 small clove garlic, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons peanut or safflower oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
Blend the tomatoes, onion, and garlic to a fairly smooth sauce (it should have some texture).
Heat the oil, add the sauce and salt, and cook over a medium flame for about 8 minutes until it has thickened and is well seasoned.
Recipe excerpted from The Cuisines of Mexico by Diana Kennedy: Harper and Row, Publishers, Inc., 1972