Salt and Pepper Squid with Caramelized Onions and Bell Peppers
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon Szechwan peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon ground white pepper
- 1 pound cleaned squid, tentacles separated, tubes cut lengthwise in half
- 1 cup self-rising flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil plus peanut oil, for frying
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, de-seeded and julienned
- 1 yellow bell pepper, de-seeded and julienned
- 2 Thai bird chiles or 1 jalepeno, de-stemmed and sliced
Heat a saute pan very hot and add the salt. Reduce the heat and saute for 3 to 5 minutes. Turn heat off and add the peppercorns. Mix and let stand. For the squid, score the squid on the inside with a criss-cross pattern then cut them into 2-inch triangles and set aside. To make the batter, slowly add cold water to the flour and baking powder to achieve a runny pancake batter. Whisk in the oil. In a fryer or wok, deep fry the squid until golden brown, season with seasoned salt and set aside on paper towels. In the same wok, drain the oil leaving 2 tablespoons and caramelize the shallots, peppers and chiles, about 4 minutes. Season and add back the squid, mix quickly.
PLATING: On a large oval, plate the squid.
WINE: Artesa Sauvignon Blanc Reserve, 1998, Napa